Advance Directive Documents

Each state has its own specific laws and regulations regarding end-of-life choices.

If you wish to have an Advance Directive for Healthcare in place, you must complete and sign the specific form required by the state where you reside. Your signature must be witnessed by two people or by a notary public.

If you move to a new state, it’s very important that you complete a new Advance Directive for Healthcare using the form required by that state.

If you split your time between states, be sure to complete the proper Advance Directive for Healthcare in both states.

Universal Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare

The American Bar Association’s Commission on Law and Aging has recently prepared an end-of-life resource that could help simplify the designation of a healthcare agent using a universal durable power of attorney for healthcare.

The language of this universal form meets the legal requirements in 45 of 50 states. Five states—Indiana, New Hampshire, Ohio, Texas and Wisconsin—still require that you use a form specifically prepared by the state.

Click here to download the ABA durable power of attorney for healthcare.

Find Advance Directive Documents For Your State

Your selection will open in a new browser window. Found a broken link? Let us know.